If you’ve got too many apps on your Android device that are constantly buzzing you with notifications, it’s a quick process to turn off the notifications and remove notification content from your lock screen. Disabling notifications on Android devices is easy, and can be done on a per-app basis, so you can silence pesky apps without stopping notifications from more useful apps that you prefer.
How to Turn off Notifications for Individual Apps on Android
If you know exactly which apps you want to turn off notifications for, the process is very straightforward, but there are two routes to choose from.
To start, identify the app you want to turn off notifications for. The most direct way to begin the process is by finding the app on your Android device’s home screen or in the app drawer. When you’ve found the app, follow this process:
- Tap and hold the icon of the app you want to block until a pop-up menu appears.
- From the pop-up menu, tap App info or the information symbol (this may appear as a lower-case “i” inside of a circle). This will take you to a new settings menu for the app.
- Tap either Notifications or App Notifications. This will take present you with a final page for customizing the apps notifications settings.
- On this final page, you’ll see the available notification options for the app. Tapthe Show notifications toggle at the top of the page to disable all notifications, or tap individual notifications types to disable
How to stop notifications from Apps you can’t identify
If you’re frequently getting notifications from an app, but are struggling to identify which app is sending them, the above instructions may not work for you.
This could be the case if the app is displaying advertisements as notifications that don’t draw a clear connection between the app and the notification. To turn off notifications in this case, you’ll need wait until one of the offending notifications pops up. When a notification appears, follow these steps:
- Pull down from the top of your screen to open the notification drop-down shade.
- Tap and hold the notification you wish to disable.
- While continuing to hold, swipe just slightly to the left, but not far enough to dismiss the notification.
- Tap the gear icon that appears and you’ll be presented with a toggle for that notification
- Toggle off the notification and you should no longer see notifications of that type
- To ensure all notifications types from the app are blocked, tap More Settingsto see all the notification options for the app.
- From here, toggle off all notifications or toggle off just the notification types you wish to stop receiving.
How to Disable Lock-Screen Notifications
If you want to continue receiving notifications from your apps, but want to prevent them from displaying on the lock screen of your device, the process is fairly similar to disabling an app’s notifications.
- Go to Settings > Apps & notifications.
- Scroll down and tap Notifications > On the lock screen.
- To block all notifications on the lock screen, tap Don’t show notifications at all. You can also tap Hide sensitive notification content to hide the content of the notifications.